Once past the entrance to the public garden, boulevard Pierre Guislain, the hubbub of the city is quickly forgotten. Do they know, moreover, these motorists, that they are driving on the old city wall of Saint-Omer? Do the walkers know that they are strolling on a former military site? Created in 1893, the layout of the public garden follows that of the old fortifications, dismantled in 1892 to enlarge the city. Saint-Omer was a Flemish city under Spanish rule until 1677, when Louis XIV conquered the city. The fortifications are a Spanish legacy from the 16th century.